Almond Tart with fresh Berry Compote
Isn't it true, whatever your mom bakes, it's just alllllllways yummy? No matter what? Luckily both our moms make the best sweet treats ever and keep bringing them over. Here's a delicious, rich, flavourful almond tart topped with drippy, juicy berry compote goodness. Honestly one of the best spring/summer desserts if you ask us.
What you'll need for the pastry:
- 225g flour
- 150g butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 60g icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2-4 tsp. iced water
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2) Combine all above ingredients except for the egg yolk and water together with your hands. until the dough becomes crumble-like.
3) Add the egg yolk and 2 tbsp. of the iced water and knead briefly until the dough becomes smooth. You might have to add the rest of the iced water.
4) Chill the dough for about an hour in the refrigerator. Then roll it out into a circle on a lightly floured surface. Press it into a cake pan (ideally one that has a removable bottom). Place it back into the refrigerator and proceed to your almond filling.
Here's what you'll need for the Almond filling:
- 220g almonds (blanched)
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 250g butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 4 eggs
- 350g fresh berries (whatever is in season. We used raspberries and blueberries)
1) Combine the almonds, the flour and the salt in a bowl.
2) Use a food processor and mix the butter and sugar until it becomes light and fluffy.
3) One by one add the eggs until completely blended.
4) Stir into the bowl of the almonds and mix well.
5) Remove the cake pan from the refrigerator and scatter the base of the tart with fresh berries.
6) Spoon the almond filling over the berries and then bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes until golden brown.
Right before you serve this tart, make the Compote:
What you'll need for the Compote:
- 350g berries (here you can use frozen berries)
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. icing sugar
1) Simply place all the ingredients in a little pan, bring to a gentle boil und cook for about 10 minutes. Serve with the fresh out of the oven tart.