Apple Tarte topped with toasted Almonds
Apples are so crunchy and sweet at the moment. We couldn't resist buying a whole bunch at the farmer's market the other day and had wayyy too many. So we made this delicious apple almond tart. It's thick, chewy, and oh so flavorful.
We’d venture to say that this little apple tart situation will put all other apple tarts to shame... so go ahead and make it!
Here's what you'll need:
For the shortcrust pastry:
- 210g flour
- 125g butter, cut into little pieces, cold
- 50g sugar
- 1 egg
- a dash of salt
For the filling:
- 6 apples, peeled and shredded
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 50g toasted almond slivers
1) To make the dough, combine all above ingredients together with your hands. Wash your hands with very cold water first, so the dough doesn't become too warm. Also make sure not to overdo it, just lightly crumble everything together with your fingers (otherwise the dough will become too pasty!)
2) Place the dough in a little dish and refrigerate for about an hour.
3) Grease a cake tin (about 24-26cm)
4) Divide the dough into two halves. Use one half for the bottom of your cake tin.
5) Combine the shredded apples with cinnamon and sugar in a bowl and spread on the cake base.
6) Now grab the other half of the dough and cover the cake. It should lie firmly on the apples.
Cut off any excess dough at the edges and press the edges of the dough cover lightly against the edges of the base dough.
7) Bake at 180 degrees for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
8) Add the almond slivers on top of the cake and bake for 10 more minutes. Make sure not to burn.
9) Sprinkle the tart with icing sugar and enjoy!