The Best ever Cheesecake Recipe (New York Style)
Guys, we're doing it! We're finally sharing our secret how to make the best ever New York Style Cheesecake! Remember the good old Cheesecake Chic days? That is actually how it all started for us. This was our very first food photoshoot we did together and basically the stepping stone to later launch Comme Soie. And all though our style has evolved a lot over the years, we are still very much in love with these pictures.
But now let's get to the recipe...
A few notes:
1) Make sure that all your ingredients are at room temperature! We often ignore this in so many recipes ourselves, but here it's really crucial, friends.
2) Do not, AT ANY TIME, open the oven door to check on the cheesecake! This is the main reason why they crack. Just trust the baking time we're giving you here and leave. that. oven. door. shut!
3) Don't overbake it! You need to really just trust us with the baking time. Once you remove the cheesecake from the oven, you will think it's way too wobbly and that we are crazy, but rest assured, it will set and it will be great.
4) Saurer Halbrahm! For the top layer, we say to use sour cream. However, we use something called "Saurer Halbrahm", which you can find everywhere in Switzerland. Unfortunately, we are not sure what that's called in the US or UK. But basically the difference is, "Saurer Halbrahm" has 15% fat (compared to sour cream, which has 35%) and it's a little lighter and tastes a little bit sour, but that's what makes it so so good. And don't get us wrong, we usually love fat, the more the better, lol. But here the "Saurer Halbrahm" really makes the difference...
OK, so here goes, ahhh, we're really doing this!!!
What you'll need:
- 250g graham crackers
- 25g butter, melted
- 1 pinch of salt
1) Place the graham crackers in a mixer (we use a Nutribullet) and ground them well, so that they almost become flour-like. Add a pinch of salt (or more, we like a little more!) and the melted butter. Mix well.
2) Line a cake tin with parchment paper and press the crust into the tin.
3) Bake for 10 minutes at 180 degrees.
- 900g cream cheese, room temp.
- 300g sugar
- 3 eggs, room temp.
- 1 lime, juice + zest
1) While your crust is baking, place all the above ingredients in a bowl and mix well, but gently. You don't want to overbeat the dough.
2) Once the crust is baked (it should be sllightly browned), pour the dough over it and bake for 40 minutes at 160 degrees.
--> DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN!!!
- 180g sour cream (Saurer Halbrahm, see notes!), room temp.
1) Remove the cheesecake from the oven, let cool for a bit and spread the sour cream on top while it's still a bit warm. Feel free to use more than 180g. We sometimes double it, it really depends on how thick you like this top layer.
2) Let cool completely and place the cheesecake in the fridge over night or for at least 6 hours.
3)Add whatever topping you like, berries, caramel sauce etc.
Enjoy! And don‘t forget to tag us when you bake our cheesecake. We can‘t wait to see your result! 🥰