Strawberry Pepper Scones by our fellow Foodie Franziska
Allow us to introduce: The Brunch Society. A Zurich based brunch business, which offers food lovers an unconventional brunch with culinary creations in a cozy atmosphere and great company every now and then in and around Zurich. It was founded by three beautiful ladies, one of them being our dear friend Franziska. For more inspiration, visit their delicious feed on Instagram: tbs_ch
Last week, we had the perfect slow morning with Franziska. We visited the local farmer's market and then headed home for brunch. At home, Franziska unwrapped her freshly baked strawberry pepper scones and served them with fresh strawberries she had just gotten on the market and a beetroot glaze. You heard that right. Pepper & Beetroot Glaze. Blew our minds too! We sat on the balcony, made some Matcha lattes, ate the scones, listened to the birds singing, talked for hours, ate some more and simply enjoyed a perfect spring morning.
Our advice to you: try to become friends with Franziska, invite her over for brunch, pray she will bring one of her delicious creations and then go straight to heaven. 😉 All jokes aside, thankfully she shared her delicious recipe with us and we're happy to post it here. Happy baking, friends!
Here's what you'll need for 8 scones:
- 150g whole meal flour
- 150g Ruchmehl (Swiss brown flour)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salz
- zest of 1/2 of a lemon
- 3 dashes of pepper
- 80g of butter, cold, cut into little pieces
- 150g strawberries
- 150g buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. of beetroot juice
- 50g icing sugar
1) In a bowl mix flours, baking powder, sugar, salt, lemon zest and pepper.
2) Add the cold butter and mix the dough with your fingers until it becomes crumble-like.
3) Cut the starwberries into little pieces and gently mix them with the crumbly dough. Add the buttermilk and stir to a smooth dough. Form it into a circle that is about 4cm thick.
4) Refrigerate the dough until it becomes firm and preheat the oven to 220 degrees.
5) Cut the dough with a knife into 8 pieces 6) Place them slightly apart on a baking tray covered with baking paper. Brush with the whisked egg. 7) Bake in the middle of the oven for about 20 minutes.
8) Combine the beetroot juice with the icing sugar and drizzle over still warm scones. Serve with fresh strawberries.